Monday, April 21, 2008

National Dance Championships – Las Vegas


Hello everyone, I am back and I have to tell you how excited I am about what happened in Vegas. I know, I know, now you think what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas – well, this story I am proud to share.

Each year we attend Fred Astaire National Championships in Las Vegas. This year it was held at the Luxor resort, directly on the famous Vegas strip. We arrived on Tuesday to spend an extra day and… well that stays in Vegas. On Wednesday the competition started and I have to say, even I was impressed. I have been to many competitions all over the world but this one was special. With 11,000 entries this was the biggest competition we’ve had so far and the atmosphere was mesmerizing. The ballroom was packed from the first day with competitors from studios all over the USA.

After the first day we already had a feeling that this would go really well for us. Vladimir was dancing with Patricia Becker and Warren was dancing with Savanna Michael, Gail Sermersheim and Sherri Michael. I am sure you think that I am biased, and I probably am, but the level of dancing that I saw from our students exceeded all my expectations. Fred Astaire Jupiter made it through all first rounds and quarter finals, and into almost every final. Many times we placed in the top 3 – it was so good to see that all our effort paid off and we are so very proud of our students, they made us look very good.

On Friday evening it was the Professionals who got to compete. Both of our top couples made the finals in Open Smooth and Open International Latin, which was a great success. The same evening we enjoyed a special show from Ricardo Cocchi and Yulia Zagoruychenko, who were second at the last UK Open Championships. I was thrilled to hear the announcement that they will join the Fred Astaire family. I am sure we will welcome them soon to Jupiter for coaching’s.

On Saturday evening the event finished with a grand Gala banquet and show with, of course, an Egyptian theme. The setting and decoration were beautiful and everybody enjoyed a great dinner and dance. Then came the moment when the TOP awards were handed out. Jupiter won: TOP STUDIO RUNNER UP. Warren and Vladimir both were in the TOP TEACHER rankings. Patricia Becker won TOP FEMALE AWARD and Savanna Michael won TOP YOUTH AWARD!

What a weekend!!! I couldn’t leave all our success in Vegas; I had to tell you all. How do I feel about it – well I stepped out of character and shed a tear or two. That’s how happy I was.

I hope I see you soon at Fred Astaire Jupiter.

Happy dancing,

Babette Brown