Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Let me introduce you to: Phyllis Holcomb, 81 years young



1) When did you start dancing?
I danced as a kid; I did tap, acrobatic and ballroom Dancing. I started to dance at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Jupiter about 2 ½ years ago.
2) Why did you become a dancer at Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Jupiter?
After I had 3 back surgeries I have tried to walk in about shoulder deep water…..I got sick and tired of it….so I talked to my doctor who mentioned that Ballroom Dancing would be very good to strengthen my back. But I had not danced in 50 years; and I like old fashion style bands, I am not a fan of new music.
3) What benefits where you hoping to get from dancing?
My main goal was to help my back. I never thought I would perform or compete; not at my age!! I just wanted to do something I always loved to do.
4) How did dancing better your life?
Dancing helped my health through strengthening my back and giving me better posture. It made me more aware of myself and helped my stamina and balance. Dancing also made me proud of myself. I have accomplished goals I never thought I could. It boosted my self esteem and made my every day life more colorful. I developed a new family around me, my Fred Astaire Jupiter Family!!
5) Have your personal expectations for your dancing changed since you started? Yes, dancing changed my whole attitude physically and emotionally. I feel much better. I have no real expectations from myself because of my age. I am dancing for the love of dance. I am also dancing for the love of you all. I am living for the moment.
6) What kind of activities do you take part in at Fred Astaire Jupiter? Showcases, Competitions, events for special occasions like Sweepstakes and Holiday Parties…etc
7) How would you describe the competition and performance experience?
I have never done a competition before and it was a memorable experience. It helped my stamina; I loved the team atmosphere and enjoyed watching the other people dance. I love doing Showcases in particular because they give me self confidence. I enjoy it all very much. It is wonderful to be able to dance, and to dance with people like Warren and Vladimir, who are champions, is a thrill in itself. People should have more confidence in themselves, they should enjoy dancing Showcases and Competitions because it is fun and makes you feel accomplished. After dancing a showcase I have a great feeling of satisfaction.
8) Is there anything you would like to share with all of us?
Dance is a wonderful art. Anybody who does not get involved with it in any form is missing out on a lot! Everybody should take advantage of it. It is good to start dancing young but for people in my age it is great exercise and it keeps the mind occupied so we do not think about ourselves too much. The Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Jupiter has Champion teachers who know how to take care of students on different levels. It is a very well run studio, I would not go anywhere else. I love their dogs, Coco and Max. They are like my inherited grandsons. Dancing is a wonderful experience. I think everybody should try it. Half an hour of dancing is worth 2 hours of walking. I hope anybody who starts dancing will have as much fun as I do and gain as many benefits as well.